CPCS Red Trained Operator Card
The CPCS Red Trained Operator Card is issued on successful completion of the CPCS Theory and Practical Technical Tests which must be taken with a CPCS accredited test centre. You must have achieved the relevant CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test within the 2 years before taking the CPCS technical tests.
Once you have passed the CPCS Technical Tests you will be issued with the CPCS Trained Operator Card. This card has a two-year validity and is non-renewable. You are required to prove your competence in the category by undertaking the relevant NVQ within the 2 years in order to upgrade to the Blue Competent Operator Card.
What does this card represent?
The Trained Operator has demonstrated a level of:
- Health and safety awareness through the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test
- Underpinning knowledge and understanding through the CPCS Theory Test, and
- Operating ability through the CPCS Practical Test
How to Extend a Red Trained Operator Card
You can follow one of two routes, depending on when your card expired:
1) For a 12 month NVQ/SVQ extension, you must:
- Hold a CPCS Red Trained Operator Card which is in date, or within 12 months from the expiry
- Be registered for an NVQ or SVQ relevant to the category
Once these elements have been achieved, call the CPCS Helpline on 0844 815 7274, confirm your details and make a payment, you will be asked to provide proof of NVQ/SVQ registration by email or post. This is a non-refundable fee for the services of processing the application.
A new card will be issued for 12 months (from date of application receipt) to enable the NVQ/SVQ to be achieved. Once the NVQ/SVQ has been achieved, you will be able to apply to Upgrade to a Blue Competent Operator card
2) For an Additional 2 Year card, you must:
- Hold an expired trained operator card by more than 12 months
- Hold a valid CITB Health, safety and environment test
- Achieve the CPCS theory test (within two years of the CITB Health, safety and environment test)
- Achieve the CPCS practical test (within six months of the CPCS theory test and within two years of the CITB Health, safety and environment test)
- be registered for the NVQ or SVQ.
Once all these elements have been achieved, the CPCS test centre will request the CPCS Additional 2 year Red Trained Operator card on your behalf.