Upgrade to a Blue CPCS Competent Operator Card
The CPCS Red Trained Operator card is only valid for 2 years, during which time you are required to undertake the relevant NVQ in order to upgrade to the Blue Competent Operator Card. The only way to remain in the CPCS scheme is to complete the relevant NVQ.
National and Scottish Vocational Qualifications (NVQs/SVQs) are competency-based and achieved within the workplace. They demonstrate your ability (competence) to carry out your job to the required standard, recognising your skills, knowledge, ability, training and experience required to perform a job safely and in an effective and efficient manner.
The individuals will be required to gather evidence and be observed for the occupational competencies listed under each unit title of their chosen qualification. The assessor will support this process and provide help and guidance during visits to make this as easy and smooth as possible. It is important that all learners are actively working in their occupation in order to be able to complete.
What does this card represent?
The Competent Operator has demonstrated a level of:
- Health and safety awareness through the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test
- Underpinning knowledge previously through a theory test
- Operating ability previously through a practical test
- Operating competence on the type of plant (evidenced by an NVQ or SVQ or employer confirmation of competence)
How long is the card valid for?
The blue Competent Operator Card has a five-year life. The start date of the card will be from the date that the application form is received by the CITB Customer Operations. Each category added onto a blue Competent Operator Card will have the expiry date of the card itself.
Renewing a Blue CPCS Competent Operator Card
What are the requirements for renewing this card?
An operator is required to:
- hold a valid Competent Operator Card that has not expired (please contact us for further advice if your card has expired)
- pass the CITB Health, Safety and environment test (within two years of the card application)
- pass the CPCS Renewal Test for each category held
- demonstrate on-going practical operating experience through a choice of routes:
- On-Site Assessment
- CPCS Practical Test
- NVQ or SVQ
How to apply for the card
You will need to complete CPCS Application form F1/3. This can be accessed through a CPCS Test Centre or downloaded from the NOCN Jobcards Website.
CPCS Application form F1/3 will need to have an independent declaration by:
- Logbook route or NVQ/SVQ: an Approved Company Validator, or
- Practical Test or On-Site Assessment: the CPCS Tester who delivered the test.
Guidance notes are printed on the reverse of the form but should you have any difficulties in completing it please don’t hesitate to contact us.